COUNTRY SAUSAGE GRAVY
Good eatin’ don’t get any better than this with this easy to make thick and creamy gravy on Chicken Fried Steak or Milk and Butter Biscuits!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Smoked Bacon – ¼ lb. here is how we smoke our bacon
- Pork Sausage – 1 lb.
- Sweet Butter – 4 Tbsp.
- Onion – 1 Small diced
- Garlic – 2 Tbsp. minced
- Flour – 4 Tbsp.
- Half-and-Half – 2 cups
- Chicken Bouillon cube – 2 ground
- Dry Thyme – 1 tsp
- Dry Sage – 1 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
- Worcestershire Sauce – 1 Tbsp.
- Parsley – chopped
- Green Onion or Scallion – thinly sliced
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Black iron skillet
1. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. Place hot coals on 1 side of the grill and no coals on the other side of the grill.
2. Place the skillet on the side of the grill over the hot coals
3. Cook the bacon just enough to get bacon grease in the pan
4. Remove the cooked bacon, chop into pieces and set aside.
5. Add the pork sausage to the skillet and brown it.
6. When sausage is browned add the chopped bacon back into the skillet
7. Remove the bacon and sausage from the skillet leaving all the grease
8. Add 4 Tbsp. of sweet butter to the skillet and melt
9. Add your chopped onion to the skillet and cook until softened
10. Move the skillet to the side of grill with no coals
11. When onions are soft add your 2 Tbsp. of minced garlic to the skillet. Do not burn the garlic
12. Slowly add 4 Tbsp. of flour to the skillet stirring the whole time
13. Cook the flour until slightly brown
14. When flour is browned slowly add 2 cups of Half-and-Half into the skillet about ½ cup at a time stirring constantly
15. After Half-and-Half is mixed in Add
- 2 ground chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp dry sage
- 1 tsp dry Thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
16. Salt and Pepper to taste – remember the bouillon cube contains salt
17. Add 1 Tbsp. of Worcestershire Sauce
18. Add the chopped Parsley and thinly sliced green onion
19. Pour the bacon and sausage back into the skillet and mix.
20. Just before serving add a bit more Half-and-Half to the skillet and mix
21. Top Chicken Fried Steak, Buttermilk Biscuits or toast with the gravy
22. Serve and Enjoy!