Seafood Stuffed Clams recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys that combines Rhode Island Littleneck Clams, Maine Lobster, Louisiana Shrimp, and Alaskan King Crab for a crowd pleasing barbecue side dish.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Clam shells – 12 cleaned
- Shrimp – 4 Louisiana style
- Maine lobster claws – 2
- King crab legs – 2
- Rhode Island clams – 1- 2 lbs. (wash in water to remove sand)
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt – to taste
- Chicken broth – 2, 14 oz. cans
- Baby clams – 1, 12 oz. can, whole clam meat
- Butter – 1 stick
- Seasoned stuffing mix – 8 cups or 1 lb.
- Extra virgin olive oil – 4 Tablespoons
1. Bring grill temperature up to 350 – 400 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals offset for indirect cooking.
For Steamed Crab, Clams, Lobster, Shrimp:
2. Wash clams to remove sand.
3. Place a cast iron skillet directly over the coals to heat.
4. Add ½ -1 cup of water to skillet. (You can use white wine or broth for steaming)
5. Place clams, king crab, lobster claws, and shrimp in pan. (Use your favorite or what’s available in your area)
6. Cover with foil and steam for 8-10 minutes or until clams open.
7. When done steaming, remove pan from direct heat and place opposite coals.
8. Reserve broth from skillet.
Prepare Stuffing Mix:
9. Place another cast iron skillet over hot coals.
10. Heat 2-3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
11. Mince 2 cloves of garlic and dice ¼ cup of onion. Add to skillet to lightly brown. Leave grill uncovered.
12. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter to pan, stir.
13. While garlic and onions are cooking, remove clam, crab, and lobster meat from shells. Be sure there aren’t any shells mixed in with the meat.
14. Cut up shrimp and combine all meat together. Chop and set aside.
15. Take seasoned bread crumbs and place in a large bowl.
16. Mix in; 2 cans of chicken broth, broth used for steaming, 1 can of baby clams, steamed clam, crab, shrimp, and lobster meat.
17. Add in garlic and onions from skillet.
18. Combine thoroughly. Stuffing should be moist.
19. Maintain grill temperature of 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit.
20. Roll stuffing mixture into a ball.
21. Stuff mixture into clean clam shells.
22. Place stuffed clam shells opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
23. Cover grill and cook 15-20 minutes. Cooking times may vary depending on grill temperature.
24. Transfer stuffed clams to a serving platter.
25. Place a ‘pat’ of butter on top of each stuffed clam.
26. Serve as a side dish or appetizer.
27. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!