Bacon Pig Dogs In a Blanket
Pigs in a Blanket with a much improved BBQ Pit Boys twist, wrapped in ground pork and packed with tasty cheese and diced smoked Bacon then wrapped in flaky pastry, these Bacon Pig Dogs in a Blanket will have them coming back for more so you better make a bunch.
For this Bacon Pig Dogs In a Blanket recipe you need the following ingredients:
1 lb Smoked Thick sliced Bacon
2 lb Ground Pork
Hots dogs or smoked frankfurters
1 x cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup fine grated carrot
1 cup grated sharp Cheese
3/4 cup of grated onion, pad dry to remove moisture
1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbsp Salt
SPG seasoning, use your favorite seasoning.
We also used a fast read digital thermometer, well worth checking out this: Waterproof Digital Probe Thermometer
1. Smoke the bacon over indirect heat until your preferred level on doneness and dice.
2. Combine the Ground pork, Bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheese, SPG seasoning, grated onion, fresh ground black pepper and salt.
3. Onto a sheet of flaky pastry spread about a tablespoon of ketchup across the middle of the sheet.
4. Place a layer of the ground pork mixture onto the ketchup strip on the pastry
5. Place a layer of diced smoked bacon onto the ground pork mix.
6. Place a hot dog / frankfurter onto the bacon
7. Top with more of the ground pork mix
8. Roll the pastry around the pork mix, brushing the lap end of the pasty with the egg wash.
( 1 egg , 1 Tbsp water) and seal the lap with light pressure.
9. Sprinkle with sesame seeds ready for the grill
1. Place onto a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray and place on a preheated grill over INDIRECT heat [or oven] at 350 f [175 deg C]
2. Rotate for even cooking about half way done .
3. Add the grated cheese and diced smoked bacon topping just prior to done and be sure to use a digital probe thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 deg f [74 deg C]
Serve hot, with ketchup