BLACK IRON POTATOES
Grilled potatoes, butter roasted and then topped with bacon and shredded cheese, is not only good eating, but it is real easy to do on a barbecue grill!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Potatoes – Golden or yellow, small to medium size – 10 to 12
- Onion – 1 large chopped
- Butter – 1 stick
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded or your favorite shredded cheese
- Smoked Bacon – chopped You can find our recipe for smoked bacon at this link or you can fry up some bacon crispy and chop it
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Small iron skillet
- Large iron skillet
1. Set up your grill for indirect heat (hot coals on one side of the grill and no coals on the other side of the grill) – You’re looking for a grill temperature between 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel and chop the onion. It can be a large chop or smaller chop which ever you prefer
3. Mince the 2 cloves of garlic by smashing them with the side of your knife blade.
4. Place the onion, garlic into the small iron pan
5. Add the stick of butter to the small iron pan
6. Place the small iron pan on the grill on the side with no coals. You are not trying to cook the onions just melt the butter
7. Fill the large iron pan with the whole potatoes. We left the skin on but you could peel them if you prefer.
8. Take a sharp paring knife and slice the potatoes into ¼ inch slices after they are in the pan. This makes it easier to handle the potatoes.
9. Salt and Pepper the potatoes to taste
10. Pour the melted butter, onions and garlic over top of the potatoes in the large skillet
1. Place the large skillet of potatoes on the indirect heat side of the grill (side with no coals)
2. Cover the grill with the lid (top vent over the potatoes) you are looking at a cook time of 60 minutes depending on your grill temp.
3. After 1 hour top the potatoes with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped smoked bacon
4. Recover grill with lid to melt cheese
5. After a few minutes when cheese has melted remove potatoes from the grill
6. Serve and Enjoy!