Bacon Pig Dogs in a Blanket
Hot Dogs / Quick & Easy BBQ / Pork
Pigs in a Blanket with a much improved BBQ Pit Boys twist, wrapped in ground pork and packed with tasty cheese and diced smoked Bacon then wrapped in flaky pastry, these Bacon Pig Dogs in a Blanket will have them coming back for more so you better make a bunch.
- 1 lb Smoked Thick sliced Bacon
- 2 lb Ground Pork
- Hots dogs or smoked frankfurters
- Flaky Pastry
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup fine grated carrot
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheese
- 3/4 cup of grated onion, pad dry to remove moisture
- 1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- English Mustard
- Sesame Seeds
- SPG seasoning, use your favorite seasoning.
- 1 Egg
- Smoke the bacon over indirect heat until your preferred level on doneness and dice.
- Combine the Ground pork, Bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheese, SPG seasoning, grated onion, fresh ground black pepper and salt.
- Onto a sheet of flaky pastry spread about a tablespoon of ketchup across the middle of the sheet.
- Place a layer of the ground pork mixture onto the ketchup strip on the pastry
- Place a layer of diced smoked bacon onto the ground pork mix
- Place a hot dog / frankfurter onto the bacon
- Top with more of the ground pork mix
- Roll the pastry around the pork mix, brushing the lap end of the pasty with the egg wash. ( 1 egg , 1 Tbsp water) and seal the lap with light pressure.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds ready for the grill
- Place onto a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray and place on a preheated grill over INDIRECT heat [or oven] at 350 f [175 deg C]
- Rotate for even cooking about half way done.
- Add the grated cheese and diced smoked bacon topping just prior to done and be sure to use a digital probe thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 deg f [74 deg C]
- Serve hot, with ketchup