Momma always said, "eat your vegetables", so we do with this grilled Bacon Wrapped Veggie Burger, BBQ Pit Boys style. If you like veggies, check out this video.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Ground chuck 80/20 – 3 ½ lbs.
Sausage – 1 ½ lbs. – fresh ground
Bacon – 1 lb.
Salami – 3-4 oz.
Pickles – sliced
Red pepper – 1
Salt – to taste
Black pepper – to taste
Jalapenos – pickled or fresh
Pimento stuffed olives – 5-10 sliced
Mozzarella cheese – 1 lb. shredded
Tomato – 1
Mushrooms – 1 can, stems/pieces
Onion – 1 large, ½ cup chopped
Hamburger buns 14-16
1. Bring grill temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals offset for indirect cooking.
2. Clean and chop red pepper.
3. Chop onion, ½ cup.
4. Open can of mushrooms.
5. Chop olives. 5-10.
6. Dice pickled jalapenos – 2-3 pcs.
7. Slice tomato.
8. Onion – sliced.
9. Place bacon in ½ pound slabs on grill opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
10. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes.
11. Remove grill cover and flip bacon. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Only cook bacon to 50%.
12. Remove bacon from grill.
13. Bring grill temperature up to 350 – 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place lid on grill.
FOR VEGGIE PATTIES:
14. Combine ground chuck and sausage in a bowl.
15. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
16. Lay out a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface.
17. Flatten 2 ½ lbs. of meat mixture into a uniform 7” x 12” square (approximate), ½” thick.
18. Cover meat with: chopped red pepper, chopped onions, chopped olives, mushrooms stems/pcs, chopped jalapenos, hard salami, and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly like making a pizza. (Or use your favorite toppings)
19. Lift edge of wax paper and begin to roll meat patty into a log. Gently roll using wax paper to keep it from sticking.
20. Cut veggie roll into 7 - 1 ½” patties.
21. Separate bacon into slices and wrap each veggie patty with a single slice of bacon. Do not use a toothpick to hold bacon. It will tighten as it cooks.
22. Repeat process for another 7-8 patties.
23. Place veggie burgers opposite hot coals for indirect cooking for 8-10 minutes. Cover grill with lid.
24. After 8-10 minutes, remove lid and flip veggie burgers.
25. Add remainder of bacon directly over coals to finish cooking. Cover grill and cook another 5-10 minutes.
26. Remove bacon from coals and place opposite coals for indirect cooking. Do not burn bacon.
27. After 5 – 10 minutes, check internal temperature. Veggie burgers are done once they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
28. Add mozzarella cheese to each veggie patty. (Or your favorite cheese), cover grill and allow to melt for 3-5 minutes.
29. Remove veggie burgers from grill.
30. Place veggie burgers on hamburger buns.
31. Remove bacon from grill and place on veggie burgers.
32. Top veggie burgers with condiments, onion, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, or any of your favorite toppings.
33. Serve with your favorite sides.
34. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!