Get your barbecue shoes on..! The BBQ Pit Boys pond fish, filet, and grill up some Bluegill at the Pit.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
As told by Jitterbug, our resident hunter/fisherman from the BBQ Pit Boys founding chapter at "the Mother Pit".
Pan Fish Fillets – 1-2 lbs. fresh bluegill or other small fish
Garlic – 3-4 cloves, chopped
Butter – 1 stick
Lemon – 1-2 whole
Flour – 1 ½ cups
Semolina Flour – 1 ½ cups (Can use Corn Meal as a substitute)
Salt – 2 teaspoons
Pepper – 2 teaspoon
Cayenne Pepper – 2 teaspoon
FILLET PAN FISH:
1. Lay fish out on a clean cutting board. Be sure to cut in a direction moving away from you.
2. Using a fillet knife, make a cut behind the gill cover on both sides of the fish.
3. Run knife along backbone from front to tail.
4. Cut fillet away from rib cage.
5. Gently lift and pull fillet away using your fingers. Carefully remove fillet by cutting along bottom edge of fillet.
6. Continue until all fillets are removed.
7. Lay fillets skin side down. Take fillet knife, starting at tail, and cut fillet away from skin by gently sliding knife forward between skin and fillet.
8. Discard skin and fish remains.
9. Wash fillets in cold water.
10. Use a clean surface to batter fish. Do not use the same surface you used to fillet the fish.
11. Combine all ingredients in a gallon size baggie, mixing bowl, or a plate. Or use your favorite seasonings.
12. Place a fillet in batter and coat thoroughly.
13. Place on a plate.
14. Continue until all fillets are coated.
15. Bring grill temperature up to 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit.
16. Chop garlic cloves and place in skillet.
17. Place the skillet on the grill, directly over coals.
18. Add in ¾ stick of butter. Cover grill until skillet heats up.
19. Once butter heats up, put fillets in skillet. You may need to add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of butter. Cover grill and cook 2-3 minutes.
20. Remove cover and turn fillets. Cover grill and cook for an additional 2 minutes, no longer.
21. Remove fillets from grill and place on a plate.
22. Cut lemon into wedges.
23. Lemon wedges, cole slaw, hush puppies, fries, and tartar sauce.
24. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!