CORNISH GAME HENS
Make your grandma proud by serving up these Black Iron Rock Cornish Game Hens at your next Barbecue.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
- Cornish Game Hens – 2 2lbs each with gizzards
- Celery – 2 Stalks cut into sticks
- Carrots – 2 cut into sticks
- Fresh Rosemary – 2 sprigs
- Garlic – 10 cloves peeled
- Lemon Juice – 2 Tbsp.
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Baby Corn – ½ to 1 cup
- Butter – 8 Tbsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Chicken Stock
- White Wine – ½ cup
- Small red potatoes – 12 cut in half for faster cooking
- Corn Starch – 3 or 4 tsp
- Cooking oil
1. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. Place hot coals on 1 side of the grill and no coals on the other side of the grill. You are looking for a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the skillet on the side of the grill with no coals
3. Remove the gizzards from the Cornish game hens and place the rosemary sprigs and some chopped onion into the body cavity
4. Place the hens breast side up into the skillet
5. Rub cooking oil all over the hens.
6. Surround the hens with the
7. Nestle the Garlic cloves in with the vegetables
8. Add the new baby corn to the skillet
9. Add 6 Tbsp. of butter on top to melt down into skillet
10. Add enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the skillet
11. Salt and Pepper to taste
12. Cover grill with the lid. You are looking at a 1 hour cook time
13. After a few minutes add 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice and ½ cup of wine to the skillet. Recover grill with the lid.
14. Every 15 minutes
- Red Potatoes
15. At 45 minutes
- Baste the hens with the juices in the bottom of the pan
- Rotate the skillet 180 degrees for more even cooking
16. Hens will be done when temp at the thigh registers 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Baste the hens
- Rotate the skillet
- Remove some (1 cup) juices from the bottom of the pan and put into a cooking pot.
- Recover grill with the lid
17. Place the pot of pan juices on the grill
18. Chop up the gizzards and add them to the pot and let simmer
19. When hens are done, add 2 Tbsp. of butter to the gravy and let melt
20. After butter is melted add 3 tsp of Corn Starch to the gravy and mix. This will thicken up the gravy.
21. Remove the hens from the grill and place on a serving platter.
22. Surround the birds with the vegetables
23. Pour the gravy over the birds and veggies
24. Serve and Enjoy!
Not enough items available. Only [max] left.