Beat the cold and feed the soul. The BBQ Pit Boys cook up an Old School 1800’s New England Fish Stew with nothing but Cod, Salt Pork and Onions.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Cod Fillets – 2 ½ pounds or 4 fillets
Lobsters – 2– 1 ½ pounds each
Salt Pork – 1 pound (use bacon if you can’t find salt pork)
Onion – 3 large sliced
SPG – to taste
Water – 1 quart
Flour – 1-2 Tablespoons
Oyster Crackers – 2 cups
1. Bring grill temperature up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut each cod fillet into 3 or 4 pieces.
3. Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil to cook lobster.
4. Slice onions into ¼ inch rings.
1. Put a large cast iron pot directly on the hot coals.
2. Fry all of the salt pork – leave grease in pan.
3. In the pan, layer – cod, onions, and salt pork.
4. Sprinkle with pepper or SPG.
5. Continue to layer in that order until all ingredients are in the pot.
6. Mix water and flour in a separate container. Mix well.
7. Pour mixture into pan.
8. In stock pot, place lobsters to cook using your favorite method/style.
9. Cook soup for about 45 minutes at a low simmer.
10. After 35 minutes add in oyster crackers and stir.
11. Cook for another 10 minutes.
1. Remove lobster from stock pot when they are done.
2. Ladle soup into large bowls.
1. Serve with cole slaw, lemon slices, and bread.
2. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!