Slow grilled whole Chickens are pulled, and then covered with a top-shelf Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky Sauce. Watch the boys in this episode show you step-by-step how easy it is to cook up a batch Maker’s Mark Bourbon Sauce. This is a rich sweet tomato based sauce that would go well over a plate of pasta.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Chicken – 3 whole fryers, 4-5 lbs. each
Olive Oil – 5-6 Tablespoons
SPG – to taste
Red Pepper Flakes – to taste
Buns – favorite style
FOR MAKER’S MARK BOURBON WHISKEY SAUCE:
Maker’s Mark Bourbon – 1 cup
Bacon – 2-4 strips cooked
Ketchup – 2 cups
Tomato Paste – ½ cup
Worcestershire Sauce – ¼ cup
Small Onion – ½ cup chopped
Garlic Cloves – 6-8 chopped
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Apple Cider Vinegar – ½ cup
Black Pepper – 2 teaspoons
Kosher Salt – 1 teaspoon
Hot Sauce – to taste
1. Bring smoker temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash and dry chickens.
3. Coat with a small amount of oil. Be sure to get under the skin.
4. Apply liberal coating of SPG and red pepper flakes.
5. Place in smoker until an internal temperature of 180 degrees Fahrenheit is reached.
BOURBON WHISKEY DIPPING SAUCE:
1. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
2. Sauté chopped onion and garlic until translucent.
3. Add in one cup of Maker’s Mark bourbon whiskey.
4. Mix in ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, kosher salt, chopped bacon, and hot sauce.
5. Mix thoroughly and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Remove from heat.
1. Remove chickens from smoker and place on a cutting board to cool down.
2. Cover in aluminum foil for 45 minutes.
3. Warm dipping sauce for serving.
4. Remove foil and shred chicken from bones and cartilage.
5. Shred to desired consistency.
6. Coat with Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey Sauce.
7. Put on buns to make sandwiches.
1. Serve with cole slaw, potato salad, bbq beans, and lots of Maker’s Mark bourbon whiskey sauce.
2. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!