For snacking or as a main meal these mussels are real good eating at the Pit.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Mussels – 4 pounds sorted and cleaned
American Pale Ale – two 12 ounce bottles
Rotel – one 28 ounce can
Shallots – ½ cup diced
Garlic Cloves – 6 cloves minced
Fresh Parsley – ½ cup chopped
Fresh Thyme – 2 Tablespoons
Pepper Flakes – 3-4 Tablespoons
Olive Oil – 2-3 Tablespoons
Butter – ½ stick
SPG – to taste
Large Dutch Oven
1. Bring grill temperature up to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sort and clean mussels, set aside.
3. Chop shallots, fresh parsley, fresh thyme, and garlic cloves.
1. Place Dutch oven directly over hot coals.
2. Add olive oil to pot and sauté shallots and garlic.
3. Sauté for a minute or two – do not overcook.
4. Pour in can of Rotel.
5. Add in parsley, thyme, and pepper flakes.
6. SPG to taste, combine well.
7. Add mussels to pan and both bottles of pale ale.
8. Combine thoroughly.
9. Cover grill and simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring halfway through cooking.
10. Mussels will be done when they open up.
1. Ladle mussels and broth into a large serving bowl.
2. Add butter and combine.
1. Serve with French bread and hot sauce.
2. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!