In Wraps, as Kabobs or hot off the bone, these Strip Steaks are always good eating here at the Pit. And they're real easy on the ol' grill.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
New York Strip Steak – 2 – 2 lbs. each, 2” thick (Also known as: Short loin, Club or Shell Steak)
Pepper Paste – 1 jar, found at your local grocery store
Bamboo Skewers – 10-12, no need to soak in water
MOPPING AND DIPPING SAUCE:
Soy Sauce – ½ cup
Sesame Oil – 1 Tablespoon
Lemon Juice – 1 Tablespoon
Green Onion – ½ stem sliced thin
Honey – 1 teaspoon
TOPPINGS FOR WRAPS:
Flour Tortillas – 4-6 soft taco size
Fresh Cilantro – ½ cup finely chopped
Tomatoes – ½ cup chopped
Green Onion Stem – ½ cup sliced thin
Shredded Cheese – Favorite style
1. Bring grill temperature up to 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Trim off excess fat and remove bone.
3. Coat each steak with pepper paste and wrap in plastic wrap.
4. Allow to marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Place steaks in the freezer for the last hour so they firm up and are easier to slice thinly.
PREPARE MOPPING/DIPPING SAUCE:
5. Combine sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl.
6. Mix thoroughly and reserve ¼ - ½ cup for dipping.
7. Pour remaining sauce into a cast iron pan.
8. Place pan on grill to warm sauce.
9. Thinly slice strip steaks length wise.
10. Thread 2-3 pieces of steak on each skewer.
11. Place skewers directly over hot coals to sear for 1-3 minutes.
12. Turn skewers and sear for an additional 1-3 minutes or to taste.
13. Brush steak with mopping sauce that has been warming on the grill.
14. Continue until all skewers are cooked.
15. Place steak skewers on a plate with reserved dipping sauce.
16. To make wraps, place tortillas on grill to warm. Grill until done to your liking, remove steak from skewer, place on tortilla and top with your favorite toppings.
17. Serve with smoked beans, cole slaw, or potato salad.
18. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!