These "low and slow" barbecue bacon wrapped fattys are a Pit Master favorite everywhere, and for good reason.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Bacon – 2 lbs. thick cut, pork belly style
Sausage rolls – 2
Canned corned beef hash - 2
Onion – 1
Green pepper – 1
Jalapeno – 1 sliced
Cheese – 8 oz. – Sharp Cheddar block
SPG – to taste
1. Bring grill temperature up to 225 - 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Coals to one side for indirect cooking.
2. Cut onion into ¼” slices. Cut rings in half for stuffing.
3. Clean and cut jalapeno into strips.
4. Clean and cut green pepper into strips.
5. Slice cheese into thin lengthwise strips.
FOR FATTY #1: SAUSAGE ROLL FATTY
6. Lay 6 pieces of thick sliced bacon flat on a cutting board. Start to weave bacon according to video instructions.
7. Place pork roll on bacon weave.
8. Cut slit in pork roll to stuff.
9. Stuff with strips of cheese, onion, green pepper, and jalapenos.
10. Roll bacon weave around sausage log, tucking corners of bacon as you roll.
FOR FATTY #2: CORNED BEEF FATTY
11. Lay 6 pieces of thick sliced bacon flat on a cutting board. Start to weave bacon according to video instructions.
12. Open 1 can of corned beef hash and slide out of can in one piece.
13. Place corned beef hash roll on bacon weave.
14. Slit roll and stuff with cheese.
15. Season with SPG.
16. Lay slices of onion and green peppers on top of corned beef hash roll.
17. Roll bacon weave around corned beef hash, tucking corner of bacon as you roll.
FOR FATTY #3: TRADITIONAL FATTY
18. Season sausage roll with SPG. Do not wrap in bacon weave.
FOR FATTY #4: CORNED BEEF FATTY
19. Follow direction for Fatty #3.
20. Make sure to maintain grill temperature of 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit for low and slow cooking.
21. Place all four Fatty’s opposite hot coals for indirect cooking. Cover grill and cook for 20 minutes.
22. After 20 - 30 minutes, add 2 chunks of hickory wood.
23. Continue to cook for another hour. 1 ½ hour cook time, approximate.
24. Remove Fatty’s from grill and slice into 2” pieces.
25. Eggs cooked to your taste, biscuits, toast, English muffins, and breakfast potatoes.
26. Breakfast sandwiches with toast.
27. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!