Slow Grilled Meatloaf
Meatloaf with the Works, grilled indirect over an open fire, will put your Momma’s meatloaf recipe to shame, as demonstrated by the BBQ Pit Boys.
- Ground Chuck 80/20 – 4-5 lbs.
- Bacon – ¼ lb. regular sliced pork belly style
- Pepperoni – 8 oz.
- Sausage – 2-4 links (16 oz.), removed from natural casings. Or use favorite sausage.
- Jalapenos – 2, sliced with seeds (remove seeds and meat for a milder flavor)
- Shredded Cheese – 16 oz.
- Pineapple – 1 can sliced rings
- Mushrooms – 1 cup
- Red Bell Peppers – 1, sliced
- Green Bell Pepper – 1, sliced
- Yellow Onion – 1, sliced 1/8”-1/4” thick rings
- SPG – to taste
- Vodka – 1 cup
- Ketchup – 1 quart
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 cup
- Cumin – 1 Tablespoon
- Chili Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 Tablespoon
- Garlic Powder – ½ Tablespoon
- Salt – 1/8 cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Lemon Juice – 1, fresh squeezed.
For Vodka Sauce
- Your favorite side dish
- Hamburger buns or hoagie rolls
- Bring grill temperature up to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals offset for indirect cooking.
Vodka BBQ Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a pan over direct heat, or on a stove top.
- Simmer 20 minutes and remove.
- Cut onion into ¼” rings; slice red/green peppers and mushrooms. Slice jalapenos set to side.
- Place a large cast iron skillet directly over coals.
- Combine sausage and bacon in skillet. Fry for a couple of minutes before adding vegetables.
- Add in red bell peppers, green bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms.
- Sauté until al dente or soft.
- Remove from direct heat.
- Flatten ground chuck evenly over baking pan, 1 ½” thick.
- Sprinkle meat with SPG.
- Pour Vodka BBQ Sauce over meat, spread evenly.
- Add 8 – 12 oz. of Italian blend shredded cheese over top of meat, or use your favorite cheese.
- Add sautéed vegetables with sausage and bacon over the top.
- Cover with pieces of sliced pepperoni.
- Place 6-8 sliced pineapple on top.
- Add on some jalapeno slices.
- Place pan on grill opposite hot coals for indirect cooking. Place lid on grill.
- Maintain 325 degrees Fahrenheit grill temperature.
- After 25 minutes, uncover and rotate for even cooking.
- Remove excess grease from pan using a turkey baster. You may have to do this more than once depending on your meat.
- Cover grill and cook another 25-30 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from grill.
- Slice meatloaf into serving size pieces.
- Serve on a plate with smoked beans, cole slaw, or mashed potatoes.
- Put on a bun for a juicy burger.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!