Blues guitar legend Johnny Winter was planning to come back to our Pit for some of our Fried Catfish, but of course now that will never happen. So Paul Nelson asked that we put together a tribute to Johnny for the upcoming release of his final album ‘STEP BACK,’ featuring ERIC CLAPTON, BILLY GIBBONS, PAUL NELSON, BRIAN SETZER, JOE BONAMASSA, JOE PERRY, DR. JOHN, LESLIE WEST, JASON RICCI AND BEN HARPER. So in his honor, we cooked up some Fried Catfish at the Pit. This one’s for you, Johnny. R.I.P. -BBQ Pit Boys
We cooked up some Fried Catfish at the Pit. This one’s for you, Johnny. R.I.P
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
Catfish fillet 3 Pound, cut in half
FOR DRY RUB
- Old bay seasoning — 2 Tablespoon
- Paprika — 2 Tablespoon
- Salt — 1 Teaspoon
- Fresh ground black peppercorn — 1 Teaspoon
- All purpose flour — 1 Cup (16 tbs) (For dusting)
- Stone ground cornmeal — 1 Cup (16 tbs) (as needed)
- Old bay seasoning — 1 Teaspoon (as needed)
- Salt — To Taste
- Butter stick — 1 , melted
- Corn oil/Vegetable oil — 2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)
FOR DRY RUB:
1. In a bowl, mix together old bay seasoning, paprika, salt, and peppercorn.
FOR FLOUR MIXTURE:
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, old bay, and salt. Mix well and spread the mixture on a shallow plate. Set aside.
3. Dip fish fillets in melted butter, season with rub and the dredge with flour mixture.
4. In a pan, heat oil until it reaches 355-360 degree F.
5. Deep fry the fillet in oil for 4-5 minutes or until nice and crispy. Fry in batches and do not over crowd the pan.
6. Serve and enjoy!