Getting tired of the same ol’ canned beans? These slow simmered ham hock & beef beans are good eating anytime, anyplace! Especially on a cold winters day!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
• Garlic – 8 cloves chopped
• Onion – 1 large chopped
• Bacon – ½ lb. chopped
• Beef chunks – 1 lb. stew meat works guud
• Smoked Ham Hocks – 3
• Pinto Beans – 1 lb. dry or you can use precooked
• Plum Tomatoes – 4 or 5 chopped
• Jalapeno Pepper – 1 chopped
• Beer – 2 bottles
• BBQ Pit Boys Vodka BBQ Sauce – recipe can be found hereor one of our other BBQ sauces found here or your favorite sauce
• Your favorite condiments; cheese, hot sauce, tortillas, etc.
• Black iron pot or Dutch oven with lid – 2
1. Set up your grill for indirect heat (hot coals on one side of the grill and no coals on the other side of the grill) You can also cook these beans directly on the campfire.
2. Place your pot directly over the hot coals
3. Add the dry pinto beans to the pot and pour enough water in pot to cover them.
4. You want to par boil the beans with the lid on the pot for 20 minutes.
5. Remove beans from the grill
6. Place the second pot over the hot coals and add
- Bacon – ½ lb. chopped
- Onion – 1 large chopped
- Garlic – 8 cloves chopped
- Beef – 1 lb. cubed
7. Sauté these ingredients til browned
8. Add the par boiled beans to the pot on the grill
9. Add 1 bottle of beer to the pot and stir.
10. Place lid on the pot and let simmer to soften beans.
11. Place the ham hocks into the pot
12. Add the tomatoes and chopped Jalapeno to the pot. Stir to mix
13. Place lid back on the pot and move pot to the side of the grill with no coals. Cover grill with the lid.
14. Let the beans simmer for 3 hours stirring occasionally
15. After 3 hours add the BBQ sauce to the beans
16. Recover the beans and let simmer for 1 more hour
17. Ladle into bowls and add your favorite condiments
18. Serve and Enjoy!