SMOKE CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
Hungry for Crispy Fried Chicken Barbecue style? Then sear, smoke and fry those Chicken Wings for some real good eatin’ at the Pit.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
Chicken Wings – 10 lbs.
Large mixing bowls
Vegetable or Canola Oil for fryer
Buttermilk – ½ gallon
Salt – 2 Tablespoons
Black Pepper – 1-2 Tablespoons
FOR WING DREDGE:
Flour – 4 cups
Paprika – 6-8 Tablespoons
Black Pepper – 2 Tablespoons
Salt – 2 Tablespoons
Poultry Seasoning – 2 teaspoons
Cayenne Pepper – 2 teaspoons
1. Wash and prep chicken wings.
2. Place wings in a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine brine ingredients and add to wings in bowl.
4. Mix thoroughly making sure to coat all wings.
5. Cover bowl and let marinate in refrigerator for at least three hours or overnight.
6. In a large mixing bowl combine dredge ingredients; flour, paprika, salt, black pepper, poultry seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
7. Remove wings from refrigerator.
8. Pour off brine into a stock pot and reserve for later use.
9. Bring grill temperature up to 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals offset for indirect cooking.
10. Bring fryer up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit using canola or vegetable oil.
11. Place the wings directly over the hot coals and sear each side for 1-2 minutes. Place lid on grill each time.
12. Add some chunks of your favorite smoking wood during the searing process.
13. Move seared wings to indirect heat. Continue process until all wings are seared.
14. After seared wings have spent about 10 minutes in the smoke and indirect heat; place back into brine.
15. Remove a few wings from brine and dredge in the flour mixture. Coat well.
16. Carefully place dredged wings, one at a time into the hot oil.
17. Wings will fry for 4-5 minutes and are generally done when they float to the top and are golden brown. To check doneness, internal temperature should be 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
18. Place wings on a large serving platter to drain.
19. Put some wings in a large bowl and coat in your favorite hot sauce or wing sauce.
20. Serve with ranch, bleu cheese, cole slaw, carrots or celery.
21. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!