STRIP STEAKS AND WHISKEY GRAVY
Whiskey Gravy tastes real good on most anything, but especially on these New York Strip Steaks. So dig out your grill and fire it up!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- New York Strip Steaks – 2 1 ½ inch thick
- SPG Seasoning – Recipe found here
- The Gravy
- Celery – 2 Stalks Chopped
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves chopped
- Cooking oil – ¼ cup
- Butter – 4 Tbsp.
- Flour – 4 Tbsp.
- Whiskey – ½ cup
- Beef Stock – 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- 4 Qt Black Iron Pot
1. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. Place hot coals on 1 side of the grill and no coals on the other side of the grill. You are looking for a temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit for searing steaks.
2. Place the pot on the side of the grill over the hot coals
3. Add ¼ of cooking oil to the pot.
4. Add the celery and onion to the pot to sauté
5. You want the onions and celery to caramelize
6. Add the Garlic to the pot just before the onions are caramelized. You do not want to burn the garlic
7. Remove the onions, celery and garlic from the pot leaving the cooking oil. Set them to the side
8. Move the pot to the side of the grill with no coals
9. Add 4 Tbsp. of sweet butter to the pot with the oil and melt
10. After the butter is melted, slowly add 4 Tbsp. of flour to the pot. Stirring as you add it.
11. Cook the flour until it is slightly brown
12. When Flour is browned, add ½ cup of whiskey
13. Add 2 cups of beef stock
14. Stir together making sure to scrap the bottom of the pot to loosen any brown bits that are stuck there. This adds a lot of flavor to the gravy.
15. Add your onions, celery and garlic back into the pot
16. Salt and pepper to taste
17. Gravy will need to cook down for 20 to 30 minutes at a simmer to thicken. Stirring occasionally
18. After the gravy has simmered about 15 minutes, it’s time to cook the steaks
19. Liberally season both sides of the steak with the SPG seasoning or your favorite seasoning
20. Place the steaks directly over the hot coals to sear
21. After 2 minutes flip the steaks over and sear the other side
22. After another 2 minutes move the steaks to the side of the grill with no coals to finish cooking
23. Cover the grill with the lid
24. Cook the steaks to your desired doneness
25. When steaks reach desired doneness, remove from the grill and let rest to redistribute the juices throughout the meat.
26. After resting put steaks on a plate and ladle the gravy over the top of the steak
27. Serve and Enjoy!