CAJUN SMOKED TURKEY AND PORK ROAST
This Cajun style Turkey and Pork Loin holiday roast, smoke tender and moist, will give your guests a Holiday Turkey and Pork dinner they’ll never forget!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Turkey – 12-13 lbs.
- Pork loin roast – 6-7 lbs., bone in
- Chef’s string
- Onions – 6
- Bacon – 1 lb. thick cut
- Meat injector
FOR CAJUN DRY RUB:
- Kosher Salt – ¼ cup
- Paprika – ¼ cup
- Coarse Black Pepper – 1 Tablespoon
- Dried Thyme – 1 Tablespoon
- Dried Oregano – 1 Tablespoon
- Onion Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Granulated Garlic – 1 Tablespoon
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 teaspoon (to taste)
- Ground Bay Leaf – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic – 1 clove, sliced
FOR CAJUN MARINATED MOP:
- Chicken Stock – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1 Tablespoon, fresh squeezed
- Sweet Butter – ½ stick
- Louisiana Hot Sauce – 1 Tablespoon
- Garlic Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 Tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
1. Bring grill temperature up to 350 – 400 degrees Fahrenheit for the first 45 minutes of cooking. After 45 minutes of cooking, reduce temperature to 270-325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine ingredients of Cajun dry rub in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
For Turkey and Pork Loin:
3. Wash and remove excess fat from turkey and pork loin. Pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Inject turkey with marinade. Be sure to inject liquid into each leg 2-3 times; each side of breast bone 4-5 times.
5. Inject pork loin through fat cap 7-8 times.
6. Liberally apply Cajun dry rub over turkey and pork loin.
7. Place turkey on grill opposite coals, breast side down.
8. Place pork loin and thick cut bacon on grill opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
9. Add 2-3 chunks of hickory wood for a light smoke.
10. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
11. Remove cover after 45 minutes and rotate and flip turkey so breast side is up.
12. Take 2-3 pcs. of bacon and place inside turkey cavity.
13. Tie legs up with chef’s string. Remove excess string with a pair of scissors or knife.
14. Place all six onions whole and unpeeled next to hot coals.
15. Add 2-3 chunks of hickory wood.
16. IMPORTANT: Reduce heat to 270-325 degrees Fahrenheit.
17. Cover grill and cook one hour.
18. After one hour, remove lid and mop turkey and pork loin with marinade.
19. Turn turkey and pork loin for even cooking.
20. Take a few slices of bacon and place over the top of each roast.
21. Remove remainder of bacon from grill.
22. Add a few more pieces of hickory chunks.
23. Cover grill and cook for another hour.
24. After an hour remove cover and mop turkey and roast. Check temperature with an instant read thermometer.
25. Cover and cook for approximately an hour. Mop 1-2 times during this hour. Check internal temperature of turkey; should be 170 degrees Fahrenheit by breast bone; pork loin should be 140 degree Fahrenheit.
26. Remove onions from coals and slice for serving.
27. Remove turkey and pork loin from grill.
28. Allow to rest 20 minutes before carving.
29. Serve on a large platter with baked beans, rice, cole slaw, corn muffins, and grilled onions.
30. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!