SLOW SMOKED RIB SANDWICH
No better eatin’ at the Pit than a Pulled Pork sandwich, for sure. Unless, of course, you’re serving up these falling off the bone, Smoked Rib Sandwiches.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Pork spare ribs – 2 racks -3- 4 lbs. each
- Dry rub – use your favorite
- Rib marinade – use your favorite recipe
- Apple juice or cider
- Buns – 12-16
TRIM AND MARINATE RIBS:
1. Trim excess fat from spare ribs.
2. Remove the thin membrane on the back by pulling it off with a dry paper towel.
3. Place ribs in your favorite marinade for three hours. Allow to come to room temperature.
4. Remove ribs from marinade and wipe dry with a paper towel.
5. Apply a liberal amount of your favorite dry rub on ribs.
6. Bring grill temperature up to 250 – 275 degrees Fahrenheit, place coals to the side for indirect cooking.
7. Place ribs meat side up opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
8. Cover grill and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove cover and spray ribs with apple juice to keep moist. Add a couple chunks of apple wood or your favorite smoking wood.
9. Cover grill and cook for 30 minutes. Remove cover, rotate and turn ribs for even cooking.
10. Spray with apple juice. Cover grill and cook for 30 minutes.
11. Remove grill cover and spray with apple juice. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
12. Remove cover and rotate ribs. Spray liberally with apple juice. Meat should be pulling away from the bone. Cover and cook additional 30 minutes.
13. Remove cover, meat should be pulled back ¾” to 1” from bone end.
WRAP RIBS IN FOIL:
14. Lay out a long piece of aluminum foil.
15. Place a rib rack on the foil.
16. Cover with bbq sauce, spread evenly.
17. Wrap ribs in foil and place back on grill opposite coals.
18. Cover grill and cook for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
19. Remove ribs from grill.
20. Leave in foil and allow ribs to rest for 1 hour.
21. Heat up some bbq sauce on the grill.
22. After one hour, remove ribs from foil.
23. Cut ribs between bones.
24. Remove rib meat from bones and discard bones.
25. Remove cartilage from the meat. Make sure you get all of the bones and cartilage out of the meat.
26. Chop up rib meat into small pieces.
27. Fill buns with chopped rib meat.
28. Top with cole slaw, pork rinds, onion, bbq sauce, or your favorite toppings.
29. Serve with potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, pit beans, and bbq sauce.
30. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!