Soup / Sides / Chicken
How to make the perfect Cajun Jambalaya. This dish, a southern staple of a Louisiana kitchen, won’t let you down. The BBQ Pit Boys demonstrate how to make a proper roux together with step by step instructions on getting a Cajun Jambalaya right the first time.
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- Andouille sausage
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- 1 Bell pepper, green or red
- 1 whole clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp salt
- SPG seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 fresh chili, we used Tabasco chili, choose you favorite chili
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of rice, use long grain
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup canola oil or any high smoke point cooking oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Season the chicken all over with SPG or at the least us salt and pepper.
- Sear the chicken both sides browned all over.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in the saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir constantly over a medium heat until the roux turns a chocolate brown color, DON’T stop stirring it , if it burns even slightly it will be ruined.
- Add the diced celery, bell pepper, and onion, salt and pepper and mix well into the roux,
- Add the crushed garlic and chili pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat for about 1 hour,
- Add in the sausage and chicken and rice and cover to cook for a further 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the butter and top with scallions and (optional), fresh chopped chili’s.
- Serve hot