How to make the perfect Cajun Jambalaya. This dish, a southern staple of a Louisiana kitchen, won’t let you down. The BBQ Pit Boys demonstrate how to make a proper roux together with step by step instructions on getting a Cajun Jambalaya right the first time.
For this Cajun Jambalaya recipe you need the following ingredients:
1 lb chicken thighs
2 sticks of celery,
1 Bell pepper, green or red
1 whole clove garlic,
2 Tbsp salt,
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 fresh chili, we used Tabasco chili, choose you favorite chili,
6 cups of chicken stock,
2 cups of rice, use long grain
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup canola oil or any high smoke point cooking oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
1. Season the chicken all over with SPG or at the least us salt and pepper.
2. Sear the chicken both sides browned all over.
2. Heat 1/2 cup of oil in the saucepan.
3. Add 1 cup of flour and stir constantly over a medium heat until the roux turns a chocolate brown color, DON’T stop stirring it , if it burns even slightly it will be ruined.
4. Add the diced celery, bell pepper, and onion, salt and pepper and mix well into the roux,
5. Add the crushed garlic and chili pepper.
6. Add the chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat for about 1 hour,
7. Add in the sausage and chicken and rice and cover to cook for a further 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
8. Stir in the butter and top with scallions and (optional), fresh chopped chili’s.
9. Serve hot.